Brice becomes the first Presbyterian Minister in Ireland.
The First Presbytery
in Ulster set up in the town of Carrickfergus
The First Non-Subscribing
Presbytery formed. Antrim Presbytery stood alone in defence
of the sufficiency of Scripture and the supremacy of the teaching
of Jesus Christ on all questions of Faith and Duty.
The second and better
known controversy over the principle of non-subscription within
the Synod of Ulster brought to the forefront two men of outstanding
character and ability. Dr. Henry Cooke commanded the support
of the subscribers; Dr. Henry Montgomery was the champion of
those who espoused the non-subscribing principle. These two
men propounded and defended their respective conservative and
liberal principles. Dr. Henry Montgomery, Minister of Dunmurry,
led three presbyteries; Armagh, Bangor and Templepatrick, representing
seventeen congregations out of the Synod of Ulster and formed
the Remonstrant Synod in 1830.
The Remonstrant Synod and the Presbytery of Antrim drew closer together and
eventually, in 1910, they united to form the General Synod
of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
The Synod of Munster, an old and historic Non-Subscribing Synod, was welcomed
into fellowship with the Non-Subscribing Church.
Our Synod, or General
Assembly, consists of three Presbyteries and thirty-four congregations.
All these congregations together form and constitute the Non-Subscribing
Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
For a more detailed account of the history written by Rev Dr David Steers, CLICK HERE